1. Quality of life – a home provides stability and security for you and your loved ones, and membership within a community of neighbors.
2. Pride of home ownership – a home is a personal haven, a place that you can decorate, shape, and share over time because it’s yours.
3. Excellent affordability – lower home prices combined with low interest rates means there are tremendous opportunities for buyers.
4. Historically low interest rates – around 4 percent in the U.S. gives better purchasing power to those who qualify.
5. Appreciation potential – your home investment can grow in value.
6. Equity buildup and debt pay down – homeowners enjoy an average net worth of approximately $184,000 vs. $4,000 for renters.
7. Leverage – where else can you buy an investment of this magnitude with 5-10 percent down?
8. Tax deduction advantages – property tax and mortgage interest write-offs (in Canada, home owners gain a tax benefit upon selling).
9. Tax exemption – up to $500,000 per married couple or $250,000 per person on sale of a primary residence in the United States (no tax upon sale in Canada).